Mount Gravatt PCYC in association with the Garden City Library and Macgregor State High School present, for the 8th year running, the Fascinate Young Writers Festival.
This festival is to encourage young people aged between 8 – 18 years to submit a piece of writing that demonstrates their creativity and originality. Each piece will be judged on the merit of the work and the Judges are looking for quality writing rather than quantity. Please try to put your effort into a piece which will stand out!
This competition is open to young people 8 years to 18 years only and all entrants need to comply with the conditions of entry below to be considered as a valid entrant.
If you have any queries about these conditions please contact Jeanette at the Mount Gravatt PCYC on 07 34204655 email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are three age groups for the 2013 competition:
- Primary 8 – 11 years of age
- Upper Primary/Secondary 12 – 14 years of age
- Senior 15 – 18 years of age
The award ceremony will be held at Garden City Library on 22nd August, 2013.
Genres of Writing:
A) Short Story (a piece of writing which follows the rules of short story writing)
Length of work:
- Lower Primary: Maximum of 800 words
- Upper Primary/Secondary: Maximum of 1,000 words
- Senior: Maximum of 1,000 words
- Primary: Traditional verse/rhyming poetry
- Upper Primary/Secondary: as above but can include Free Verse
Length of work:
- Lower primary 14 – 20 lines
- Upper Primary/Secondary 14 – 20 lines
- Senior 14 – 50 lines
All valid entries accepted for submission will be placed in a booklet and made available for all entrants!!Please send all entries to the Mount Gravatt PCYC email address email@example.com
Closing date – Monday 8th July 2013 – All entries must arrive by this date!
Conditions of Entry
- Font must be Arial 12 pt
- Margins must be 3 cms both sides.
- For use of Speech in your work please use “….”
- Australian English spelling please!
- Page number, age of entrant and title of story on top right hand corner of EACH page.
- NO plagiarism (that is presenting another author’s work as if it was your own). The consequence of this is that your piece will be disqualified.
- You MUST do a Title page, write only the title of your story, category you are entering, age group and final word or line count if you are entering a Poem. This is the FIRST page the Judges will see.
- When you email in your entry you will be given a number which you will be judged by. Judges will not be aware of any other information about you so your work will be examined impartially.
DO NOT write your name anywhere in your final piece or on the Title Page. Please submit your personal details on the entry form ONLY.